Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

2 posters

Which decade would you rather live in?

Poll

Assuming you had a choice.

[ 0 ]
    Which decade would you rather live in? Bar_left0%Which decade would you rather live in? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Which decade would you rather live in? Bar_left0%Which decade would you rather live in? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 1 ]
    Which decade would you rather live in? Bar_left8%Which decade would you rather live in? Bar_right [8%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Which decade would you rather live in? Bar_left8%Which decade would you rather live in? Bar_right [8%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Which decade would you rather live in? Bar_left15%Which decade would you rather live in? Bar_right [15%] 
    [ 1 ]
    [ 2 ]
    Which decade would you rather live in? Bar_left15%Which decade would you rather live in? Bar_right [15%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Which decade would you rather live in? Bar_left23%Which decade would you rather live in? Bar_right [23%] 
    [ 1 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 2 ]

Total Votes: 13

Which decade would you rather live in? Empty Which decade would you rather live in?

Post by Guest Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:58 pm

Which decade would you rather live in? Empty Re: Which decade would you rather live in?

Post by Guest Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:39 pm

I think the 90s was the best decade ever. Wolfenstein 3D came out back then. I miss those times. We can still relive them with the old DOS games. I miss the lifestyle though. Bill Clinton was a golden age president. I am a libertarian conservative and I like George W Bush and he was better than Clinton in some ways, but Clinton will always be number one in my lifetime. The sad thing about Bush is that 9-11-01 happened when he was in office. He did not cause it though and he also had nothing to do with it. If 9-11-01 did not happen, the 2000s might have mirrored the 90s and both decades would have been great. The 90s ended for me when 2001 came. I consider 2000 part of the 90s.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Which decade would you rather live in? Empty Re: Which decade would you rather live in?

Post by Thomas Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:56 pm

Agree regarding the 90's ending with 9-11, jpb. It's a "cultural" decade, so to speak. Just like the 1950's ended with the JFK assassination. Then we had the sort-of upswing between 9-11 and the financial crisis in 07/08... And now we're in some sort of semi-violent, apathetic, "constipated" state where some of us have the whole world in front of us, literally, and some of us still live in the very distant past. Sad but true...

I picked the 1960's. Silly now that I think of it. I did it because of the fact that something must've happened in those few years, 'cause it seems like 1962, 1966 and 1969 e.g. are very different from each other. Can't say that for 2009, 2012 and 2014 for example. But who cares. I wouldn't give up living here and now for anything. Other than that, the 1970's. Most def... Since I was a kid I always had an idea that having been born in 1950 rather than 1990 might have been cooler... But then again - no. Living in this day and age may be a pain in the ass sometimes, but there is plenty of room to create your own sphere.

But if I had a second choice? 1990's. Definitely... lol. I was born in 1990 and remember the second half of the decade pretty well, but I was just a kid.

Post by Guest Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:35 pm

9-11-01 did end the 90s. I consider 9-11-01 the real y2k bug that was not about computer time errors. I was born in 91 and remember playing wolf 3d back around the 95/96/97/98 timeframe.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:44 am

I think the best days of humanity are ahead of us, just looking at history. Violence is far, far less nowadays than back in the day. If you haven't read Steven Pinker's "The Better Angels of Our Nature", it makes an airtight case to show that violence is down and provides multiple reasons why we still seem to think we are in danger (yet we never actually end up dying).

We live better today than people did in the past... For example people like to romanticize the past, such as the days when people lived on farms. Those were very labor intensive days. That's why people moved to cities, cuz' life sucked more on the farms. At least so far, life is getting better and better and there is less and less suffering as time goes on. I can't wait to see what humans come up with in the future. They would be like gods to us. It's too bad I will not live to see it.

I think every decade in like, ever, there have been interesting developments. I don't expect that to change. I'm trying not to be biased about the events during my lifetime, thinking they are the most interesting.

So, I feel it's up from here. That is why I feel like my life is worth living.

Post by Guest Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:12 am

I see violence increasing. I think though there was more violence in the mid 1900s than today and the 90s. Gun violence has decreased since video games came out.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:15 am

jpb1991 wrote:I see violence increasing. I think though there was more violence in the mid 1900s than today and the 90s. Gun violence has decreased since video games came out.
    If you've got spare time, I recommend watching this video:
    https://youtu.be/o5X2-i_poNU?t=3m49s

I find it interesting and there is a lot to learn.

Here's a much shorter video I think is good that is related to the subject.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbuUW9i-mHs

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:45 pm